[TR] Battery troubles

Rye Livingston ryel at mac.com
Thu Oct 15 12:28:42 MDT 2020

Two points.  I learned from my local mechanic that even the higher end Battery Tender Plus that is in the little metal box, will not maintain a battery, but will cook a battery when left on all the time.  I was advised to plug it in for a week, 2 at the most, then disconnect if for a week or two.  What a pain.

In my Airstream trailer, which has a charging system when plugged in, to charge the deep cycle batteries.  I learned the hard way that the unit that comes from the factory is crap and will cook the batteries.  I upgraded to a model that will let me leave it plugged in for months to years, no problem.

So back to changing and knowing the status of your battery, this handy tool is excellent.  SOLAR BA7 https://www.amazon.com/BA7-100-1200-Electronic-Battery-System/dp/B0015PI7A4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3UHUBUZLSG9K3&dchild=1&keywords=solar%2Bbattery%2Btester&qid=1602785609&sprefix=solar%2Bbattery%2Btest%2Caps%2C852&sr=8-3&th=1 <https://www.amazon.com/BA7-100-1200-Electronic-Battery-System/dp/B0015PI7A4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3UHUBUZLSG9K3&dchild=1&keywords=solar+battery+tester&qid=1602785609&sprefix=solar+battery+test,aps,852&sr=8-3&th=1>
No idea why it has Solar in the name as it has nothing to do with solar.

You don’t have to disconnect your battery.  Battery doesn’t need to be fully charged to test it.  You just connect it and enter it what kind of battery it is and the Cold Cranking Amps it’s rated for, and it tells you the condition of the battery and how many CCA it still has.  I was blown away when I tested a 5 year old Optima battery in my Triumph TR3, and I think it’s rated for 700 CCA, and it still has 620, which is why it still works great.

Good luck,

Rye Livingston
Activities Chairman
Triumph Travelers Sports Car Club