[TR] Battery troubles

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Oct 15 09:08:24 MDT 2020

 The old style chargers MUST be monitored, especially with newer batteries.  If you leave it hooked up too long you will boil off the electrolyte.  How long?  Depends on the state of charge.  What is the state of charge?  Is it 50%, 25%, 75%?  You can figure that out if you take an open circuit voltage reading, adjust for temperature and look it up on a chart.  Then guess how long to set the timer.
Or take a voltage reading periodically and don't forget to turn it off.

Yes, the alternator doesn't do the three-phase charge regimen but it does regulate the voltage to 14 volts.  The old school chargers are just a transformer and a rectifier and when the battery achieves full charge the voltage will continue to rise and boil off the electrolyte.  The smart chargers will self-regulate to prevent that.  But if you want to babysit you charger by all means knock yourself out.

I am in the business of battery powered transport devices for medical equipment and patient transport and we use a lot of chargers to recharge the AGM batteries we use to power the devices and they work quite well and are well suited to the end users who will just plug them in and walk away for the weekend.  An old-school charger just simply will not work for us.

Hooking up a faulty battery to a smart charger and getting unsatisfactory results doesn't mean the charger is at fault.

Dave