[TR] Alternator not charging battery - 1976 TR6

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Oct 2 13:25:28 MDT 2020

 The oft overlooked return path.  Since the car is starting one would presume the ground is in good nick but perhaps he is relying on the alternate ground paths such as the throttle linkage and the choke cables.  But if they work well enough to run the starter motor they should be ample for the charging circuit.

Just thinking out loud.
But this does raise the question.  When measuring the voltage where are the meter probes placed?  In particular the negative probe?  Is it on the engine block?  Battery negative terminal?  Bumper?  What happens if you measure the voltage difference between the engine block and the battery negative terminal?  This should be really close to zero.

Dave