[TR] TR3 - how does the door latch strap fasten to the door latch

John Reed jr468 at hotmail.com
Thu May 28 12:57:35 MDT 2020

Hey Dave,
Attached is a photo of the pull cord on a TR3 (maybe TR2) with the original interior.  I took this sometime in the early 1990s, but I don't recall when, where or the owner.

I made mine by taking a piece of braided wire and creating loops on both ends using some wire crimps (probably using electrical crimp connectors with the outer plastic removed).  I ran this wire through a rubber hose of a length so that part of the loop stuck out one end by about 1/2" (for the rear stud end) and maybe a bit more on the front end.  The crimps were inside the hose.  I took that and some pieces of interior material to a local upholstery shop.  He wrapped the material around the hose and sewed a seam tight against the hose.  The rear end was also sewed shut.  I poked a hole in material at the rear where the loop stuck out past the hose and fit that over the latch stud and secured it with an acorn nut.   And poked another hole in the material for the front screw to pass.  The seam ran along the bottom of the pull strap.  I bought a used front trim piece, but when I saw the condition of it, I instead used a convertible top bow finisher.  It was the same thing and new.  If I did it again I'd probably buy the parts from Mark Macy and have those covered.

The photo in Piggott's book is a bit different.  It shows the material stopping before it gets to the latch stud.  I don't know which is correct, but the owner of the vehicle in my photo told me it was original and the one in the book looks restored.

best,
John