[TR] TR3 - how does the door latch strap fasten to the door latch

Keith Jordan ckjordan at kc.rr.com
Thu May 28 10:33:54 MDT 2020

Answering David Griffiths question about the door latch strap, if you’re referring to the inside door pull, this was the way one opened the doors on a TR2 through TR3. It changed to the cable-pull inside the door pocket on the TR3A.

The pull was a leather “rope,” in essence, with triangular “hog rings” at each end. This was encased in a vinyl or leather sheath and attached to the door latch (on a protruding threaded rod) at the rear of the door and capped at the other end with a tapered ferule which was screw to the top of the door panel just behind the forward chrome sidescreen wedge.

The leather insides and hardware are available from Macy’s Garage and you can have an upholstery shop sew the outside covering. On my current interior, I did just that and the upholstery shop cost was about $40, including material. The threaded rod at the rear and the ferule/screw at the front go through the hog rings to attach. Andrew’s photo of the red pull shows the rear attachment very well. For additional installation info, see John Durant’s series of threads on upholstery at:

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?109923-Upholstery-!/page5&highlight=upholstery <https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?109923-Upholstery-!/page5&highlight=upholstery>

Starting at number 88.

Hopefully this answers all the questions.

Keith Jordan
1957 TR3 TS20447LO