[TR] TR3 Pistons

Greg Lemon grglmn at gmail.com
Fri May 22 22:16:13 MDT 2020

My first engine rebuild, I was trying to get my car ready to go to the
vintage races at Elkhart Lake in 1988 or so.  I had ordered a set of 87mm
pistons and liners from Victoria British, for whatever reason they sent me
3 instead of four.  They were Mahle pistons, so that was kind of cool.

Anyway, I was running out of time and I had never been to vintage races (a
much more rare event back then).  So young and can't wait mentality I took
an old piston and liner to my local machine shop to see if I could get away
with a hone and rings.  I explained what I wanted to do and he said
something about out of balance and made a blown up sort of gesture and
sound.  Point taken, didn't do it.

I ended up getting the extra piston and liner in time to get the engine
back together for the races, but another problem kept me from getting there
until the next year.

Greg Lemon
TR250