[TR] Tr8 5 speed issue

Darrell Walker darrellw360 at mac.com
Fri Jan 17 16:00:57 MST 2020

Hi Jim,

There are rubber bushings that mount the shifter extension to the transmission.  These tend to degrade, or even be missing altogether, though on a 16K mile car I don’t know.  The test is to lift up on the shifter, if it has play, they are probably shot.  That will make it hard to find gears, particularly getting past the lockout for reverse.

Urethane (and other material) replacements are available.  They can be replaced without dropping the transmission, either from under the car or from above.  It isn’t a fun job, though.

-Darrell