[TR] distributor advance

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Feb 28 08:43:27 MST 2020

I don't have my books handy, but I believe there should be a heavier, longer spring, and a lighter, somewhat shorter spring. The heavier spring should be slightly loose as installed, so that at lower rpm, only the light spring controls the advance movement. This give a fast advance curve up until the heavier spring becomes tight, then slower until the stop is reached.

Normal practice is to measure the advance curve after changing springs, so they can be tweaked if necessary to give the desired curve. Kind of like balancing tires.

If you were not getting pinging before, I would not expect a performance increase by switching to heavier springs. Maximum advance without ping is not always the best power point, but usually not far from it.
The factory had to supply an advance curve that worked under the majority of conditions, without necessarily being the best curve for any conditions

Also, in general, a low compression smog engine can stand more advance than a higher compression, better breathing race engine can. That's why the stock "all-in" advance was so high. (Around 36 degrees IIRC) If you've done anything like shave the head or install a different cam, you might need less advance. The whole idea is to get the peak cylinder pressure with the crank throw at the best angle to turn the crankshaft.

In short I don't think there is any way to answer your question, short of comparing performance before and after. To really optimize it, you need to run tests to find the optimum advance across the rpm range for your motor, then build a distributor to achieve that.

If those lighter springs were the result of someone else doing that, then any change will likely not be for the better.

I haven't been paying attention lately, but one of the local clubs used to have a "dyno day" once a year, where you could get several chassis dyno runs for a very modest price ($40 when I was there). One way to check your advance is to try a run with more initial advance, then another with less, and see what the engine likes across the band.
-- Randall