[TR] distributor advance

Tony Drews tony at tonydrews.com
Thu Feb 27 18:08:07 MST 2020

The springs should just change what RPM it takes to get to full advance
but the full advance should be the same (weights against the stops).
I'm a little unclear on how much you changed the timing, it sounds like
you had to retard the timing after the spring replacement - this would
also retard the "all in" timing, which would be what you're running at
3200 RPM.  It's possible it's worse at 3200 now than it was before
because the full advance timing is now less.

I don't run a street car so could be all wet...  When I check the timing
I see what it is once the advance is all-in.  Wherever it ends up at
idle is where it ends up, I don't really pay attention to the idle advance.

With 110 octane gas and decent compression (and a 4 banger, not a 6
banger), I shoot for 32 degrees when the advance stops changing.  I'd
think you'd want closer to 26 degrees with a street motor / pump gas.

Hope this helps...

Regards, Tony Drews