[TR] clutch for pin

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Feb 7 15:26:56 MST 2020

> You are better off cross drilling the shaft and fork, and
> inserting a roll pin or bolt in there as well as the fork pin.
> If you do this, you will never have a broken fork pin ever
> again.

That's what I did, using a grade 8 1/4-28 bolt and cutting off the threads
so the unthreaded shank went into the fork on both sides.  Also drilled the
hole a bit undersize, so it was a light press fit (tapped into place with
BFH).

But considering that the original taper pin lasted over 40 years, I doubt
I'll be around long enough to judge whether it's really any improvement or
not.

Don't forget to install a taper pin while drilling the fork and shaft; and
get the fork turned the right way.  My shaft has an extra hole for some
strange reason ...

-- Randall