[TR] Oil Pan Sealer?

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Tue Feb 4 18:18:26 MST 2020

I have had good results with Permatex "Ultra Black" gasket maker. Part #
82180. I seem to remember that years ago, there was only Permatex #1 which
was hardening and #2 which remained slightly pliable. Now, it seems that
there is a gasket goop for white cars travelling north with 6 cyl. engines,
a different product for dark color cars travelling east with 4 cyl. engines,
etc., etc. The choices on the rack at the local NAPA store can be
overwhelming, just like the varieties of Loctite that you can buy.

I have found that many gaskets for tractor restoration are no longer
available from anyone and that the gasket-in-a-tube is the only alternative.
Sometimes, it is one casting being sealed against another casting - in those
cases, a very small bead is needed. When there is a pressed steel cover
being assembled to a casting, you know that there will be much more of a
chance for a warped or bent interface which will require a thicker bead. But
we all know that many engine and other drivetrain problems are the result of
excess gasket goop becoming entangled into suction screens, bearings, oil
galleries and other places. Truthfully, I always get very nervous when I am
repairing somebody's tractor or whatever and I see ribbons of blue RTV
sealer inside of a compartment. I'm sure that many leaks are the result of
deformed oil pans, valve covers, tappet covers, etc. due to a previous
"mechanic" overtightening bolts. "If 20 ft.-lbs. are good, then 40 must be
better" Unless you have access to a granite or cast iron surface plate, it
can be difficult to determine if an oil pan is warped. Years ago when I was
teaching in the shop, I would use the surface of our big table saw (all cast
iron) as a makeshift surface plate when checking small parts for flatness.

Alex Thomson