[TR] New TR6 top

Dave MacKay dave at mdmackay.ca
Mon Dec 28 15:41:57 MST 2020

I, too, have had problems with the Robbins tops although my car is a TR3A,
not a TR6.

Like Bob with his TR6, my tonneau (and also a convertible top) is so tight
that I can only fit it with great effort even in warm sunny weather. The
tonneau was installed by professional installers who complained about the
fit. Robbins was responsive when I complained. I even sent my previous
tonneau to them so they could see what fit, but the replacement they sent
me after that was no better.

The top hasn’t stretched or loosened over time. If anything, it may have
shrunk because it seems as hard or harder than ever to put on.

I would suggest having the top (tonneau or convertible) made by your
installer so that you get a good fit. That would have been cheaper for me
than buying the Robbins tonneau and having to pay for two installations.

As always, particularly since you’re dealing with a TR6 not a TR3A, YMMV

Good luck,

Dave MacKay

1960 TR3A s/n 68639L

near Toronto, Canada

>From: Robert Rochlin <rrochlin at comcast.net>

>Subject: Re: [TR] New TR6 top

>             I got a Sunfast top for my TR6 about 8 years ago.  It looks
and fits great when it is up or down.  The issue I have with the top is the
difficulty in getting it up, especially in cool weather.  It was installed
by a Robbins top certified installer.  Last year I was >having my seat
repaired by another top and upholstery shop in town.  The owner said that
the issue he has had with Robbins fitment on TR6s was the the rear section
is too tight and causes the top to be difficult to put up if it?s the last
bit stiff in cool weather. >As I said other than that, the quality of the
Sunfast top is great.  When I  called Robbins after the initial
installation they told me that the top would stretch after it had been on
month or two - didn?t happen.

>             Happy holidays!

>             Best,

>             Bob

>             ?72 TR6

>> From: robert rudolphi <robertrudolphi at yahoo.com

>> Hi all,

>> I am getting ready to order a new top for my 74 TR6. Going back to the
stock look with the reflective stripes and want to take advantage of the
current Roadster Factory sale. I received samples of the Everflex and
Robins material

>> and am also considering the Canvas (expensive, but love the look) to.
Right now I am leaning towards the Everflex but would welcome any
suggestions/experiences.