[TR] Bolts: This is nuts!

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Fri Apr 10 06:28:40 MDT 2020

Terry – Here’s a question. What kind of a machine are you restoring? I have found that sometimes unusual hardware, such as metric carriage bolts, is relatively inexpensive from the machine dealer. I do mean sometimes! Other times, it seems like legalized extortion. For many years, I was always of the opinion that I would buy box quantities of whatever I needed since it was about 60% of the individual cost. Maybe not for things such as cylinder head bolts but for common 3/8” x 4” and other sizes that you might use for hay wagon construction and other farm construction was a no-brainer. An auction at an iron working shop 30 years ago (structural steel erection) provided me with about 1000 lbs. or more of ¾, 7/8, 1, 1 ¼, and 1 ½” bolts of various lengths for $250 – that was a steal. These days, I admit, I think twice before buying large quantities of fasteners. McMaster-Carr is very inexpensive for a lot of things. Special sized snap rings are about a tenth of the cost from Deere. O-rings are the same way. A package of 100 from McMaster costs about the same as a package of 10 from Motion Industries after you look at some of the crazy shipping prices.

Alex Thomson

2 Triumphs

About 8 Deeres – 1939 – 2008

1 Case