[TR] TR4 valve cover

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Apr 2 23:47:09 MDT 2020

> Bill's comment begs a question or two.  My later TR4 has the
> valve cover vented to the carbs.  You cannot (at least I have
> not found any) buy any of the air filters for this system.
> How do I remedy this problem?  I was told to NOT plug that
> vent from the valve cover.  Suggestions?

One approach is to modify the air filters yourself.  Easy lathe project if
you have access to a lathe; or something like this
https://amzn.com/B01C9A386Q
Combined with a NPT to hose barb adapter like this
https://amzn.com/B07TYJMGXJ

This might make more sense with a K&N filter or similar, so you don't have
to keep redoing it every time you replace the filter element.  Here's a
clever approach
https://is.gd/KqiAkQ

Another, less elegant solution is to just attach a longer length of tubing
to that port and let it hang down below the frame rail.

Yet another solution would be to drill & tap the intake manifold, and add a
PCV valve ala TR4A
https://i.imgur.com/nfIpy40.jpg

And finally, you could install a crankcase evacuation system that taps into
the exhaust.
https://i.imgur.com/EKNowxs.jpg  (photo from Joe Alexander)
https://is.gd/HmzoKv

The exhaust port gets really hot, so be sure to use high temperature
silicone hose.

-- Randall