[TR] Was APR head bolts, now Morgan Story

Bill Brewer billbrewer59 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 6 12:24:41 MDT 2019

     So I was rebuilding a Standard Vanguard engine for an early Morgan +4. It uses all TR3 internals, but has a different head and manifolds. The head studs are 7/16ths diameter instead of the TR3’s ½” studs. A SV head torques on to 55 Ft/pounds instead of the TR3’s 105 ft/pds. If you torque a TR3 head on to a Standard Vanguard block and torque it to 105 ft/pds then the block will crack above the drain spigot. I have two cracked Standard Vanguard blocks that came with my cars. One I had stitched together and am running it in a car now.

     So I called ARP and told them I needed head studs for a rare car. The guy on the phone said “Go ahead and hit me, I’ve heard of just about any car”. I told him a needed head studs for a Standard Vanguard engine for a 1953 Morgan +4. I could hear crickets on the other end of the phone. The guy told me that he had never heard of any of those words and wanted to patch me through to custom fabrication (and greater expense). I told him “Hold on, I need a 7/16th stud 10 and a half inches long, coarse on one end and fine on the other”. He said that that was a head stud for a 302 Ford. It cost me $76 including shipping. They worked great in my car.

     -Bill Brewer

     Tehachapi, CA