[TR] TR4A - This Seems Odd

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Fri Sep 6 10:58:10 MDT 2019

 Well, Dr. Watson, eliminate the impossible and what is left, however improbable, is the truth.
1) An engine will not run without the proper fuel/air ratio.2) the only source for the proper ratio of fuel/air is the carburettor jet3) The engine continues to run
ergo: the throttle is not fully closed.

Actually, the throttle plates do not fully close off since there is no point if you want the engine to at least idle.  The throttle plate is actually slightly undersized to allow it to freely rotate in the carburettor throat without binding.  Also, the plates must be properly centered on the shaft.  If they are not the top or bottom will hit the throat before the other end does and there will be a gap even at "in theory" fully closed.
If you hold a carburettor up to the light with the throttle fully closed you will see light leaking past the plate, mostly at the sides near the shaft.  If you see a lot more light at the top or bottom the plate is not properly centered.
But, if you get a decent idle, go with it as is.

Dave