[TR] Paint dipping

Gene M mclans at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 8 14:22:45 MDT 2019

40 years ago those hardware store employees were probably laughing just as hard at me when I, in my mid 20's, left the store.

But, the  WWII veteran was not implying that the farmers were part of the manufacturing process.  His point was everything in the war manufacturing process needed to be spread out so that Hitler's bombing could not stop production.  He said the processes that required solvents needed to be decentralized to minimize secondary fires and the empty barns in the rural areas were how they did this.  He said the metal parts were dipped in the paint so that they would be protected and ready to be placed on as a repair panel on military vehicles.

Sounded reasonable to me back then, and not unreasonable when I think about it now.  Hitler wasn't able to see the massive troop and equipment build up for D-day.  Maybe some troops were staged to protect these rural sites?

Didn't TRF find original parts and the equipment to reproduce parts in some unlikely places?  Now I need to find my old catalogs.

Hey, I'm in my late 60's so fact and fiction can get blurred a bit, but at least I was able to find those old fasteners.

Gene M.
70 TR6
Sacramento, CA

<>original post>

In the 23 odd years I?ve been on this list, I don?t think I?ve laughed so much at a ww2 veterans observation of manufacturing life in this country during the conflict. Get this. Manufacturing of anything to do with the prosecution of the war in the U.K. was strictly off limits to anyone not directly involved in it. As for farms being involved, all the farms were going flat out doing everything possible to feed the population. Hitlers U Boats nearly starved us out and farms had far more important things to do that paint hardware and let it dry. This poppycock is as way out of the window as myths I?ve seen in the past on this list that Triumphs were built using whatever happened to be available, or E type Jaguars were built in a factory with rusty metal walls as cladding and earth floors!!

Jonmac