Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Nov 7 20:25:16 MST 2019

I suspect it depends a lot on which clerk you get at the DMV.  There are a lot of special rules for old cars, which the average clerk doesn’t seem to know much about (nor often their supervisor).

The TR3A I bought around 1983 was an LO car, but the original paperwork had the wrong number entirely.  Not sure how that happened, but no one noticed for many years until the state started automatically matching insurance policies to registrations.  Even then, the DMV didn’t care, it was just a hassle having to take in proof of insurance to get my registration.

I finally took them the car, showed the commission plate, and they wrote a new title with -LO on it.

More recently, I bought a 56 TR3 that came with California “black plates”.  I wanted to keep the black plates on the car, but the DMV clerk insisted on writing up the paperwork under the “Year of Manufacture” provision, which I told her did not apply to my car.  (Black plates didn’t come out until 1963.}  Of course Sacramento denied the application.  I went back to the DMV quoting chapter and verse from the vehicle code, spoke to the branch supervisor and waited several hours before they finally admitted they did not know how to handle my application.  They eventually let me fill out a blank “statement of facts” and sent that to Sacramento (who approved my black plates).

The federal standards defining “VIN” didn’t come out until 1981, so they don’t apply to our cars.  That’s why we don’t have 17 letters and numbers, and can have ‘O’.

-- Randall

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://autox.team.net/pipermail/triumphs/attachments/20191107/b12e3436/attachment.htm>

More information about the Triumphs mailing list