[TR] Speedometer drive in J-type OD

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Tue May 28 05:33:57 MDT 2019

 Hello, Mark.  Long time, no hear from.  My answers are yes, no, I don't know.

Yes you can pull the gear without removing the OD.  There is a small bolt that holds the cable attachment piece.  Once that is removed you can withdraw the piece and the gear.
No, you will not get a flood of oil, this is all above the "water line."
I don't know which gear you need  off hand but I believe that 72 was before the conversion to the "1000 turns-per-mile" standard found on the later models which means they all got the same gear and the speedometers were calibrated to suit.  You can verify that by looking at the the speedometer face near the bottom and you will find a number something like "1120" or "1000."  This will tell you which gear you need.  For what it's worth, The Roadster Factory lists part number 147965 for models up to CF1 and UKC5933 for models CF1 and later.
On the other hand, it is possible that the end of the speedo cable itself is at fault.  It may have rounded off or broke and your gear may be OK after all.  Or, since you have overdrive, you have a right-angle drive and that might be at fault.  That part is 120694.
Let us know what you find.

Dave