[TR] Speedometer drive in J-type OD

Mark Hooper mhooper at indiefilmnet.com
Mon May 27 21:38:09 MDT 2019

Hello oh List:

My 72 TR6's speedometer has stopped working completely. It was jumping more
and more wildly and now is completely dead. Since the cable seems to turn
freely in the casing I'm pretty certain the drive gear down below has just
lost too many teeth to engage. Memory tells me the drive is plastic. I have
a J-type OD in my car. I ordered it built up by the Laycock de Normanville
descendants who work (I am told) with the original tooling. I had it done
with the Volvo gearing (1.25). Three questions:

1 - Can I pull the gear out without having to remove the OD ? It looks like
it's removable.

2 - Will I end up with a flood of transmission oil all over the place. i.e.
should I drain it first?

3 - How do I count/measure to know which replacement gear to buy?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice out there.

Mark Hooper
1972 TR6