[TR] is my coil on its way out on my Triumph

Sujit Roy triumphstag at gmail.com
Fri May 3 00:22:29 MDT 2019

While driving home today I noticed after about 20 mins of sitting in stop
and go traffic, the car seems to be sluggish like there is no go power
under acceleration. The temp. here is about 70 F today
After a two hour stop, I noticed the power is back and the car accelerated
well.

I have a luminition unit sitting next to the relay box inside the car. I
have a ballast. The coil is sitting attached to the manifold.
The coil in the car is a Unipart one and its resistance is about 2.1 ohm
when hot. I will check the resistance tmr. when cold.

I have 2 spare coils, one labeled LUCAS 15C6 and the other no name one made
in Japan. Both the coils show a resistance of about 2 ohms. ( multi meter
was checked against a good known resistor.)

As a test, I installed the Japanese coil and noticed the car starts and
then dies. I can only assume this coil should be used without a ballast.
The LUCAS coil is an old Stag coil. (date ’73 or something like this) It
seems to work OK with my setup. I plan to try this LUCAS coil and see if
the car drives better.

How critical is the resistance if I use my current setup? Should I even try
the old LUCAS coil with the 2 ohm resistance, or should I invest in a new
coil with the correct 1.5 ohm resistance?

Triumph Stag
Sujit

--
Sujit Roy