[TR] TR3 differential thrust bearing

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Mar 25 16:18:17 MDT 2019

Hello, everyone.  Have been hearing a clunk from the rear of the car for a few years.  Research seems to indicate it could be the differential thrust bearing.  I can't, however, seem to find how difficult this is to change.  Some commenters mention the difficulty of setting differential "lash."  Whatever that is, though wonder if it has to do with setting the load by getting the torque correct on the pinion.

Can I undo the 6 bolts on the differential, drop what I need to out, and do an r&r (remove and replace), or is it better just to source a moderately used differential and swap out.  Thoughts?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire