[TR] triumph tr3 rescue update

Chris Simo ccsimonsen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 20:40:08 MDT 2019

Previously on the tr3 channel.... I picked up two tr3 basket cases with the
aid of several Triumph Club of the Carolinas members/friends last October.
The 3s were a bit worse off than expected. One car, a roller..., did not
roll and engine was siezed.

After months of soaking and constant pressure the engine spins free and
makes good compression, rear brake drums removed with aid of air impact,
engine/od trans pulled, degreased. power washed and engine delivered to Dr
Morro. Rear fenders removed. heated all cage nuts to red hot and pb blaster
after cooled. believe it or not almost  all hex head bolts came out with
minimal effort. Significant rust everywhere, but not as bad as tr3s in my
previous life. We can do this! Passenger floor pan mostly removed.  Rest of
interior removed. Brake lines removed intact to use as models for
replacements. Played with needle scaler from harbor freight. works well.

Fast forward to today.

First week at new job, so not a ton of progress.

Bosch mini split is installed and works a champ! Shop will be cool this
summer.

Tools cleaned and put away.

Passengers side rocker opened up.
Findings...Bob commented on what looked like oil soaked rags stuffed in the
rusted rocker.... Upon further destruction, it revealed cardboard,
fiberglass, and CONCRETE!

Apparently, the DPO found concrete as an appropriate base filler material.

Good news is the inner rocker looks good. Oil soaked rags must've helped.

Never seen concrete in a TR....

Bought a pressure pot sand blaster and modified it based on my previous
work with metal improvement company. Can't wait to try it out.