[TR] Sebring 12h weekend -- a look back at 1966

dave dave at ranteer.com
Sat Mar 16 12:01:19 MDT 2019

In 1972 my older brother knew someone who knew someone . . .   I worked as a pit runner for the josh greenwood/dick smothers corvette pit.  Before electronic communication, when a car came in, someone would write down, on a carbon paper pad, what car came in, its number, when it came in, why it came in, what they did, and what time it went out.  Then the pit runner (me) would take one of the copies over to the tower, where they would announce the details to the crowd.  I think I worked 2 hour shifts but I really don’t remember.  Free entrance, free food, and after the race I was close enough to touch Mario Andretti (the winner) as he walked by.  The Greenwood/Smothers car won their class.

I still have my badge!