[TR] TR4 Won't Start

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jun 13 14:46:35 MDT 2019

Its weird, it sounds ignition related, and you have a Pertronix.
That would certainly be enough for me!
On top of that, you've already replaced the coil and rotor.

Assuming you kept the old parts, it only takes a couple of minutes to swap out the Pertronix. I'll bet it at least changes the symptoms to something that makes more sense!

Also, check the resistance of each plug wire and the coil high tension lead, from the terminal inside the distributor cap to the end of the wire.

Take the point plate ground lead loose from the distributor body, and check its resistance to the point plate, while moving and tugging gently on the wire. It rarely fails, but they can go intermittent without being visibly bad. And yes, the Pertronix module relies on a good ground through the point plate and that wire.
-- Randall