[TR] water pump

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jul 28 23:06:59 MDT 2019

Here’s a couple of questions you can ask your nephew:

1) On the high pressure side of a TR2 through early TR4 radiator sits a 4 psi pressure relief valve (aka radiator cap).  What happens when the dynamic head substantially exceeds 4 psi?
2) What happens when the water pump cavitates?
3) The TR2-4 water pump uses a spring-loaded face seal to keep coolant inside.  What happens if the dynamic coolant pressure at the seal goes substantially below the atmospheric pressure outside the seal?

(1) in particular, I believe, is the main origin for the old myth about the coolant moving too fast without a thermostat or restrictor plate.  It really can cause overheating, just not (directly) because the coolant is moving too fast.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10