[TR] MGA

Greg Lemon grglmn at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 22:34:31 MDT 2019

Ok, I'll bite, I have never had either car, but have driven many including
autocrossing an MGA and cross country trips in a TR3.  First of all the 88
hp vs. 100 for the Triumph seems like a lot more than 12 hp.  The TRactor
engine has gobs more torque and just pulls a lot stronger, especially from
lower RPM.

As all TR fans know there are very few experiences like driving a TR3, you
feel very connected to the car, the road, and your environment.  All things
are relative, and though an MGA is still light years more connected than a
modern car it is a GT cruiser compared to the rip roaring TR3, the chassis
also feels much more sophisticated, primarily because of the rack and
pinion steering but also a more compliant ride (once again all things being
relative).

Styling is a matter of taste, but most would agree the MG is prettier if
not better.  However, my theory on price difference is that more MGAs tend
to restored to better than new museum pieces, and treated as such, while
more TRs end up being "drivers" with a few warts and modifications for
performance and/or reliability, and we all know which type of car brings
more money.

I know of plenty of exceptions to this theory and you all probably do too,
but that is my story and I will stick with it.

Greg Lemon
TR250