[TR] Sleepless in Ocala Update

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Fri Jul 12 09:33:18 MDT 2019

I have an aftermarket (regrind?) cam and had been plagued with poor
starting, rough slow idle, engine dying at idle, and sometimes just
running out of steam and stumbling at full throttle. After a lot of
experimentation I concluded that the pump lobe on the cam is under size
and barely touching the pump lever causing just a partial pump. My idle
fuel pressure was less than one lb, but the hand pump leaver pumped a
strong flow. I tried original and aftermarket mechanical pumps with no
improvements. Finally I added a low pressure high volume electric pump
back by the fuel tank and the engine was transformed. With 3 lbs at
idle, the engine started easily and idled properly. And it no longer ran
out of steam at full throttle. The accelerator pumps (DCOE) worked
properly at sudden full throttle off idle without stumbling and almost
dying.

TeriAnn