[TR] Wire Wheel Paint: one last question

Don Hiscock don.hiscock at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 06:30:29 MST 2019

Eastwood used to make a rattlecan color called "Detail Silver" that was a
near *perfect* match to the modern Dunlop/MWS wire wheels, which were in
turn pretty true to the original silver enamel paint.  It was a warmer
silver than many of the cooler/bluer silvers one sees these days,
especially in powder coat.

I'm going to have to ration what I have left, as it no longer seems to be
in Eastwood's catalog.  It was SKU 10004 Z in the past.

Here's what started as a really-worn 48-spoke/4-inch wheel (thanks to our
forum friend Tom H.) that was sandblasted, primed, rattlecanned, and
clear-coated to serve as the spare on my car.  Four-inch wheels fit a lot
better in the spare wheel well than 4 1/2 inch.  No before pix, alas, but
it was in fair-to-moderate original condition, with no evidence of original
paint left.  The image of the restored wheel next to one of my modern MWS
wheels from Hendrix looks pretty good, and after storing and handling for
six or seven years, no issues.
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-9Tv8Tn2/0/1f3f8d01/O/i-9Tv8Tn2.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-P7vtFGg/0/05b70d9f/O/i-P7vtFGg.jpg
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-cTNCc52/0/828ca130/O/i-cTNCc52.jpg