[TR] TR4 Starter question

dave dave at ranteer.com
Mon Jan 21 19:56:29 MST 2019

There is an absolutely fabulous rebuilding shop here in Dallas -
Advanced Starter Service
Alternator supplier in Dallas, Texas
Address: 2711 Irving Blvd, Dallas, TX 75207
Phone: (214) 688-0280

I just got another starter rebuilt there.  Fast turnaround and very affordable.  The previous car was a 63 Buick; this is for a 59 TR3a

The previous starter just didn't work.  Now it works great.

This one (different starter, different car) it turned the engine over without plugs but once you put the plugs in it didn't work so well.  Am looking forward to a great cranking engine after I pick it up tomorrow (their usual service is one day!!!)

IF you are going for originality, this is the way to go.

Otherwise, pretty common wisdom is to go gear reduction.  It’s a little tricky swapping in a gear reduction starter with the built in solenoid to a car that has the "2 piece" system, but not that hard.  I did it on my early TR4.  And I still have the luxury of under the hood engine cranking!