[TR] Fwd: TR 4 crank seal

Bob Nogueira nogera at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 3 12:09:49 MST 2019

Bob Nogueira

Begin forwarded message:

From: nogera at hotmail.com<mailto:nogera at hotmail.com>
Date: January 3, 2019 at 9:11:30 AM CST
To: Triumph List <Triumphs at autox.team.net<mailto:Triumphs at autox.team.net>>
Subject: TR 4 crank seal

I’ve repeatedly read about fitting the scroll seal to the TR4 engine and the necessity of centering it with a mandrel. How much play should there be when laying the seal in the block without bolts or mandrel?
I had my block line bored and I’m assuming the machinist didn’t realize that the opening for the scroll seal would also need to be machined so it is now a tight fit with no wiggle room.
Am I correct in thinking I can open up the scroll seal opening with a die grinder since it will be set in gasket compound? Would I be better off taking material off the   Aluminum seal ( it’s a Mad Marx seal)?
Thanks
Bob Nogueira