[TR] TR4 engine question

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Feb 27 05:44:31 MST 2019

 This is classic motor/generator stuff.  The primary difference between a motor and a generator is the direction of power flow.  Put electric power in, get rotation out you have a motor.  Put rotational energy in, get electricity out you have a generator.
What happens here is the fan acts as a motor most of the time but when you switch off the electric power goes away and the fan motor, being turned by the fan blades, becomes a generator until such time the fan slows enough that the output voltage is too low to support the ignition coil.
If you find this annoying, the easy fix is to add a relay that is powered from the white wire and run power to the contacts from the brown wire.

Dave