[TR] Tr6 Gear Shift Lever Adjustment

William Smith smithw1 at optonline.net
Tue Apr 2 08:09:59 MDT 2019

I'm confused. I have three published sources on how to adjust the gear shift lever on a '72 Tr6. One is the British  Leyland Tr6 ROM, another is some sort of British Leyland supplement to what I think was a tr4 or tr250 ROM, and another is from a red covered book from about 1970.
The supplement and the red book both say to first put the shifter in the 1st/2nd gate and adjust the right-hand adjusting screw, and then put the shifter in the reverse gate and adjust the left-hand adjusting screw.
However, the Tr6 ROM (which was the latest publication) does not mention putting the shifter in the reverse gate to adjust the left-hand adjusting screw. It implies that the left-hand adjusting screw is adjusted with the shifter still in the 1st/2nd gate.
So, based on your collective experiences, which is is the correct procedure?
Thanks in advance.
Bill Smith '72 TR6'80 TR7