[TR] Oil Change

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 08:11:10 MDT 2018

So...I'm curious about the technology of this.  With this latest engine rebuild I switched from full syn to dinosaur oil (Valvoline racing) because tappets on the last engine were toast.  You know, the whole ZDDP thing we've talked so much about.

When I researched syn vs. dino, one of the things I read was that dino oil becomes acidic over time as combustion gases lace into it.  Syn, not so much.  What do I know.  That's what I read.

Now the question.  If it's true, then when does the seasonal oil change make sense with dino oil?  At the end of the season, so it sits through the winter with fresh oil, or in the Spring before start-up?

It probably doesn't even matter, but again, what do I know.  Engineers???????

Thanks, everyone,

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A  TS 58667

New Hampshire