[TR] Least likely to disturb Tappet

Geo Hahn ahwahneetr at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 08:47:54 MDT 2018

Paul -

In the absence of a hand crank I turn the engine by pushing - I find it
much easier than getting a wrench on the crank bolt.  I know this was
mentioned before but specifically -- with the gearbox in 4th it is very
easy to move the engine by pushing on the top of a front tire.  Pushing
there gives you a 2:1 mechanical advantage.  Which front tire depends on
where you are looking e.g. distributor or timing mark.

As for the pushrod - if you are removing to inspect I don't see why it
matters where the engine is positioned it you just remove the rocker shaft
(2 nuts) and lift it out.  I have never had a lifter stick to the rod when
I did the method Randall described (lift a tiny bit then twist the rod
until the lifter falls back) but certainly the coat hanger method is
another way.

As for why the rod came loose - one way would be if there was way to much
valve clearance for whatever reason.

Geo