[TR] IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE ENGINE'S ROTATION WHERE THE TAPPETFALLING OUT...

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Sep 22 04:26:25 MDT 2018

>   Several of you told me there might be a danger in simply
> removing this pushrod as it may create a kinda "suction"
> effect, and if I am not careful when removing it, it may
> 'pull' up it's tappet riding on the cam causing it to fall
> into the engine.  However,  I do need to pull out the pushrod
> to make sure it's not bent.  IS THERE ANY SPOT ON THE
> ENGINE'S ROTATION WHERE THE TAPPET FALLING OUT IS LESS LIKELY
> TO OCCUR?

The tappet won't fall "into the engine", it remains right there in the open
space above the bore where it belongs.  Not a calamity, it just means you
have to remove the head in order to put the tappet back in place.

It's slightly less likely to pull out if you turn the engine so the tappet
is at it's lowest point of travel (where the valve would be fully closed).
You can get this by turning the crankshaft until both valves are open on the
opposite cylinder (in the firing order).  (If the rocker shaft is off, rest
a finger on top of each of the opposite cylinder pushrods, so you can feel
when they are both moving. The tappet/pushrod combo may or may not fall down
of it's own weight, light finger pressure will ensure they go down.)

But the lifter can still pull up, so you still need to lift the pushrod a
small amount and spin it until the bottom comes free.  When it's free, the
bottom will move around slightly and rattle against the sides of the lifter;
that means it's safe to pull it out.  The difference in weight is also very
noticeable, but I don't supposed you have a spare pushrod to compare it
with.

-- Randall