[TR] K&N Filters

George Haynes ghaynestr4 at aol.com
Fri Sep 14 20:12:54 MDT 2018

For my TR4A with HS6's I bought a pair of K&N filters that are offset up about one inch.  That is, the mounting holes are not on the centerline of the filter.  Tons of room under them to clear the fender!  One has to look closely to see the difference.  I may have bought them directly from K&N; maybe from APT.
George

> Are the filter-mounting holes the same distance/dimension on
> the HS6 and the H6 carbs?

Yes, at least for the TR4A version of HS6.  (But some HS6 apparently use 3
filter mounting bolts.)  I run HS6 paper element filters on my TR3 with H6
carbs.

However, they don't clear the inner fenders.  Even after some massage with a
BFH, the bottom of the front filter is crushed from hitting the fender as
the engine moves around on it's mounts.  I also had to re-route the fuel
lines.

My long-term plan is to make up some mounting plates to use TR6-style filter
elements.  I found some nice chrome covers from Mr. Gasket that should look
nice.  But that's a back-burner project (and at this point, I think my pilot
light has gone out).

-- Randall

K&N filter that is 1 3/4 inch think clear the inner fender on my TR3A.
Rye
Rye
PH: 530-FIND-RYE