[TR] Serious rocker arm misalignment with pishrod

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 09:54:24 MDT 2018

On 9/4/18 4:18 AM, Paul Dorsey wrote:
>  I took the valve cover off and urgh one of the pushrods had been
> seriously misaligned with it's rocker arm.
Obviously it is not going to work properly. My initial thought, looking
at the double nuts is that the threads may be bad on that rocker arm. I
assume that the valve is not all the way down. If it were me, I would
check the threads then probably get the rocker arm assembly rebuilt with
all new bushings, a replaced arm and anything else needed to make the
assembly like new. I would also pull the push rods, roll them for
straightness and make sure they are all the same correct length. But I
tend to do more than minimally needed.

Before blaming the shop look back at your instructions to the shop. If
it was for a quick budget rebuild, maybe the mechanic thought that
putting the adjuster under tension and double nutting it would hold it
in place. But at the very least, they should have brought that problem
to your attention and let you make the decision on how to handle it. As
I said, I would have gone for a complete rocker arm assembly rebuild.