[TR] Morgan/TR3 Thermostat Housing Bypass

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Oct 7 10:07:36 MDT 2018

>      Something tells me that the water pump is pumping too
> hard against the closed thermostat when the car is cold. I
> could spring for a $115 sleeved thermostat from Moss, but
> would rather continue using a modern conventional thermostat.
>
>      Anyone else have issues like this? Any ideas?

What I did was to drill a 5/16" hole through the backing plate of the
thermostat.  It slows down engine warm-up a bit; but ensures that all of the
coolant flows through the radiator (if you also block off the bypass).

But my tests showed no discernable difference with the bypass either blocked
or open, so now I leave it open.  And the thermostat eventually got replaced
as well.  So no more hole (and no more problems with overheating after
finally having the radiator recored).

-- Randall