[TR] Oil pump re-assembly 4 cyl. TR motor

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Nov 30 08:03:08 MST 2018

> When I fit the new oil pump  cap to the pump body:
> is there a gasket to go there? ( I don't think there is, but
> just checking) do I use any sealer between the cap & body?
> what torque for the bolts holding it on?

No gasket, I don't use any sealer.  Do check that the surfaces are perfectly
flat, though.  Sometimes even new components aren't.

I think 12 ftlbs is a reasonable torque value; but I don't have a factory
spec.

Also double-check how the rotor is secured to the shaft.  There should be a
pin visible; but some aftermarket pumps have the rotor pressed onto a
knurled shaft.  The knurls have been known to fail in service and create a
mess (in addition to the sudden loss of oil pressure).

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild