[TR] FROZEN NUTS AND BOLTS

Robin Watson robinwmgb at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 04:38:25 MDT 2018

At last I have a question as I said before I have been working on English
cars and motor bikes from 1945 but never on a TR3 until now. At the moment
I am restoring a 1960 TR3A that has not been on the road since 1976, up to
date I have renewed the brakes, brake pipes, flex hoses, bearings and seals
on rear axle and front hubs. I am now at the point of removing the engine
and I find a lot of nuts and bolts that I have to cut off especially the
captive nut type. I have a frozen ¼” bolt just over 3” long that goes
through the ball end of the gear shift lever and need to know if this is
threaded into the r/h side of the gearbox cover with a nut on the outside
or does it go straight through the cover both sides of the gear shift ball
with just a nut holding it in place. I have a feeling that I am going to
have to drill this out of the cover on both sides of the ball.  Thank you
Robin.