[TR] TR3A Radiator Fan

TERRY SMITH terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Mar 10 09:28:32 MST 2018

I seem to remember that the last time this came up, comment was made that an electric fan helps most when the car is at idle or close, but doesn't add much at speed.  Don't quote me, though.  You're right, it seems to me, that cruising at speed the fan would be pushing instead of pulling, which would counter the airflow coming through the grill, which would logically exacerbate the tendency already for the electric fan to somewhat impede natural airflow at speed.

I've used the yellow blade fan for over a dozen years in my daily driver.  Been happy with it.  I've tried the modified water pump with the additional vanes but didn't notice a difference, though it might help with an engine more on the margin of overheating due to clogged water passages and whatnot.  I've rebuilt the engine twice on mine, boiling the block and head each time, so haven't really had to reach for cooling solutions.  Have an electric fan to install, but never had to bother.

I love the name "hurricane" for a fan...:o)

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire