[TR] Type A Overdrive Notched Oil Plug

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 25 12:22:20 MDT 2018

These are the two versions I've come up with:

https://i.imgur.com/i0Ffy1U.jpg

The one in the foreground is a axle nut socket from eBay, cut down to fit
into the plug notches.  In use, it has to be supported with one hand while
you pull on the ratchet (or breaker bar) with the other hand.  I cut it on
the mill; but I think you could do the same thing with a hacksaw and file
(and lots of patience).

In the background is my previous tool, which did work but was somewhat more
awkward.  It's just a heavy flat bar (sold as a heavy duty stake for
concrete forms at Home Depot), with two holes drilled and tapped at
strategic spots.  I threaded bolts through the holes, then filed them down
to suit two of the notches on the plug.  The main problem with it is that
the bar almost rests against the frame, so it's easy to pinch your fingers
if the plug breaks loose suddenly.

-- Randall