[TR] valve clearance with unknown 270 cam

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Jun 11 12:16:29 MDT 2018

> The previous owner of my TR4A motor, in a '58 TR3, installed an aluminum
> head and roller rockers.  They look like the ones in the Moss catalog but
> I am not sure that is the origin.   I have set everything at 0.010", but
> still get very audible sounds from the valve train.

Even the original cam made some lifter noise; most aftermarket cams make
more.  My guess is that .010" is on the tight side, and that .015" is
probably closer to what the cam maker intended.

Wear in the rocker tip and pivot can also exaggerate the noise.  Seems like
I always have one valve that makes more noise than the others.

Given the stories I've heard of rocker shafts not being hard enough to carry
the roller rockers, I would be tempted to pull it apart for inspection as
well.

-- Randall