[TR] '3 ignition update... revisited

Andrew Uprichard auprichard at uprichard.net
Sun Jul 15 06:32:49 MDT 2018

If all else fails – Pertronix !!

Andrew Uprichard

Jackson, Michigan

From: Triumphs [mailto:triumphs-bounces at autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Randall
Sent: Sunday, July 15, 2018 12:34 AM
To: triumphs at autox.team.net; David Templeton; triumphs at autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] '3 ignition update... revisited

I still don't see anything wrong.

But electrons are invisible, so often you cannot see an electronic problem. The various tools have to serve as your eyes.

Just to restate the obvious, when the points are closed, they should shirt the coil terminal to ground. That isn't happening. So you need to follow the path, testing at each available point, to find where it isn't happening.

What do you get when you measure from the point spring to ground? (Key on, points closed.)

If the spring is 12v, then the problem is between it and ground. So the next place I would check is the stationary point plate.

But if the spring is 0v, then the problem is in the wiring from it to the coil. Next step would be to check at the connector on the side if the distributor.
-- Randall