[TR] Tires

Alex & Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Tue Jul 3 04:43:32 MDT 2018

I would like to think that how tires are stored would have some impact on
their service life. Think of inside, cool place, out of sunlight, etc., etc.

But, we noticed a tremendous difference after we replaced 10 year + redlines
on or TR6 with new Pirelli's despite the old tires having plenty of tread.
This must be a tremendous cost issue with fire departments where tires
probably don't even see 5% - 10% wear before they age out. Hopefully some of
those take-off tires find their way onto off-road equipment such as manure
spreaders and other types of farm equipment where a failure is not
catastrophic. Earlier this summer, we noticed that a Michelin XAS tire on my
hay elevator transport was starting to unravel. 30 minutes later, the big
bang occurred. I told the kids that work for me that the tire which just
self-destructed was from my parents '71 Peugeot 504. "They just don't make
them like they used to".

For a road-going vehicle, I think 10 year old tires is tempting fate.

Alex Thomson