[TR] Tr3a-- installing a gas tank

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Jan 28 17:32:53 MST 2018

Ok, here is basically the same reply I sent to Larry.

What I do is cut down the connecting hose until it mostly fits onto the tank
neck, with only a little bit (perhaps 1/4") sticking up.  Drop a couple of
worm type hose clamps over it loosely, then slide the tank into position,
using hooks and/or screwdrivers to line the hose up with the spigot on the
fill cap.  Use wedges as necessary to keep the neck and spigot lined up as
you tighten the retaining straps.  (I only needed wedges on my current TR3,
so YMMV.)

Then work the hose upwards (pry under the bottom edge if necessary) until
it's evenly onto the neck and spigot.  Hold the clamps in position while
tightening, so they are right on the edge.  A 1/4" drive swivel socket makes
it easier to turn the screw type clamps.  I don't have a photo of that, but
here is a similar socket in use
https://i.imgur.com/EAWkFPJ.jpg

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild