[TR] TR3 Turn Signal woes

Reihing, Randall S. Randall.Reihing at utoledo.edu
Wed Jan 10 05:23:13 MST 2018

It may have been simple oxidation.

Just enough to cause a color change but no corrosion, can create enough electrical resistance to reduce circuit voltage to a level the end device will not function if it requires more voltage than is available.

That micro thin oxidation film will offer enough resistance to reduce current, and thus voltage, at the intended device and in some instances can prevent it from functioning. This is most likely to cause an issue with low voltage, high current, needs, relatively speaking. A 12 volt bulb that needs a brief inrush of current to heat it's filament to incandescence can be affected by that oxidative layer. Moving the connection around can create sufficient mechanical interference to scrape some of it away and the circuit will spontaneously come back to life. Long term preventive action might be to disconnect those connections, clean them until they are bright and shiny, then reassemble them.

Another cause might be a hairline separation in the conductors under the insulation just before the connector. Moving it around might cause enough of them to touch to complete the circuit.

Hope that helps,

Randall Reihing