[TR] Radiator overflow bottle

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 3 02:29:45 MST 2018

> I am looking for suggestions on a radiator overflow bottle configuration
> for the '3a.  I am not wanting to spend stupid money but open to
> suggestions from those who have added on to their '3.

Here's what I did.  The bottle and holder are used originals from a Stag
(same as TR6).  TRF has them new, $28 for the bottle, cap & holder.  The
holder is held to the inner wing with 1/4" bolts.

https://imgur.com/P76PBYu

Not the easiest place to get to; but there is really no need to access the
bottle.  I can do the initial fill through the radiator neck (by slowly
filling it to the very top and waiting for coolant to run down the hose).
And any excess (like when a leaking head gasket blows coolant out) will
eventually run out the top.

I can get it out with the apron on, by removing the horn, but I've not yet
found a reason to do so.

I also had to get the radiator fill neck replaced with a modern one, so I
could use a recovery cap.  Never could get a stock type cap to hold vacuum,
so it would suck coolant back into the engine.  I tried several caps, tried
filling the space around the center rivet with RTV, and various rubber
gaskets; but nothing worked for me.  The modern fill neck was under $20
installed (as part of other radiator work).

And a Stant "Lev-R-Vent" cap was only $8 or so.  I like being able to vent
the system without having to loosen the cap and take a chance on it coming
off all the way.  Wasn't a TR, but I once got a shower in scalding coolant
on a cold winter day, when I didn't realize just how hot the engine was.
Fortunately I was wearing glasses, so it didn't get in my eyes.  (TR
content, we were trying to jump start a previous TR3A "barn find" with my 65
Olds.  It would NOT start, so we got the bright idea of running hot coolant
through the TR from the Olds.  Still wouldn't start!)

-- Randall