[TR] Tr3a High Torque Starter

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Feb 10 11:39:42 MST 2018

> Everyone, do I remember correctly (it's been awhile) that there's a
> difference on the type of hi torque starter depending on the type of bell
> housing you have?

The dependency is on which flywheel you have installed.  The starter,
flywheel, ring gear and bellhousing were all changed at TS50000; with the
new ring gear being slightly smaller than the earlier one.  The later
starter will not fit into the early bellhousing (unless you modify the
housing); but the later gear drive starter will.

So running a gear drive starter is one way to use a later flywheel with the
early bellhousing.

The difference in the gear drive starter is only the number of teeth on the
pinion gear.  A friend of mine was able to get his starter modified with the
other gear; after discovering that his TR2 project had a later flywheel for
some reason.

-- Randall